Thursday 7 March 2013

Intermittent Fasting Story so far

I was intrigued about fasting for a long time. From what I'd read and heard it seemed a cleansing and spiritual exercise.
As a keen bodybuilder I like to build muscle without fat! But this is not really that possible.

In the past I found that all I did when trying to reduce my bodyfat was shrink in size. I felt I looked a lot better but I felt scrawny. It was like I'd never even touched any weights, just fitness. This sad cycle has been going on since I first broke through the gaining weight barrier. Ever since that time I've gone from building and getting stronger to feeling its time to lean up. All I ended was moving through a good balance of the two to one extreme or the other.

Now in my 50's I can't say the extra weight does a thing for me.

So last year was my final throw of the dice to let myself skip the dieting phase and train throughout the year gaining mass. The end result of this exercise was indeed more mass, less injuries and a better flow with my training. But after a while through November I felt my trousers were getting tight and it was time to tighten up.

Around this time I found out about Intermittent fasting from two of my Tai Chi students. They were in their 70's. They'd done the diet together, choosing one day a week to restrict the calories. The end result was he lost a stone and a half and she lost nearly a stone. Neither were that strict on the number of calories.

So I jumped in and started one day a week restricted calorie day of around 650. I must have started beginning of December 2012 from the date of a tweet I posted on Jan 14th 2013. At the time of that post I hadn't lost any weight but I noticed a fat reduction. My weight was around 79kg.

Last week I was 76kg but this week I went back up to 77kg. Weigh ins are not a perfect science and the conditions were weighted without the morning visit to the bathroom. So I will weigh myself again on Sunday to double check.

I've only recently been taking video shots of myself so I don't have a great before and after look. But I will post some shots when I've compiled them together. I have some older footage from my weight yoyo days, I'll post those as well.

I would say that my goal is to lose the fat not the muscle. I guess the mirror and your clothes don't lie.

Also each week is different. For nearly 6 weeks I've been struggling with my training. So I was not training for some weeks and therefore I wasn't burning extra calories for the week. About 12 days ago I went sprinting. That would account for a leg growth spurt. 3 days later I did some squats and leg press in the gym. Accounting for more leg growth spurts. In fact probably full body growth spurts. I had to skip running this weekend as I could feel I hadn't fully recovered.

With all these factors taken into consideration a growth spurt of muscle must have occurred. I did notice my regular black t-shirt felt tighter on Wednesday, I seemed to look bigger in the gym mirror. Of course it was an accidental peek. Not.

So far I am thrilled with the results. I will begin a process of breaking down my findings in separate mini posts that are more specific to topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment